Hurricane Sandy appears to have claimed another Lehigh Valley victim - a 93-year-old Upper Macungie man found dead in his garage.
The Lehigh County coroner says a 93-year-old man died as a result of prolonged exposure to cold from power outages associated with Hurricane Sandy. Luther Fritizinger of 1063 Mosser Road, Upper Macungie, was found dead Thursday in his garage.The cause of death is attributed to hypothermia; the manner of death has been ruled an accident, according to a press release from the coroner Friday afternoon. The coroner and Berks-Lehigh Regional Police Department are investigating. This is at least the fourth Lehigh Valley death related to Sandy. Earlier this week, an Orefield woman found dead in her yard after the storm also succumbed to hypothermia. And a Lower Macungie woman died as a result of carbon monoxide poisioning from a generator being …
Two Lehigh Valley woman were found dead in the wake of Hurricane Sandy
- POLICE & FIRE
Thursday, November 1, 2012
Two Lehigh County women are dead in the wake of Hurricane Sandy -- one from hypothermia, the other from carbon monoxide poisoning. Theresa Schlitzer, 86, of 2425 Route 309 in Orefield, died of hypothermia, the Lehigh County coroner's office said. She was found unresponsive in her yard after a prolonged exposure from Hurricane Sandy Monday night, a press release said. It's not clear why Schlitzer was outside during the storm. Schlitzer was pronounced dead at 9:45 a.m. Tuesday at her home by deputy coroner Jason Nicholas. Tammy Kerosetz, 48, of 3663 Schoeneck Road, Lower Macungie, was overcome by exhaust fumes from a portable gas generator before 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday. The generator was running inside her garage, the coroner's office said. …
One death, a house fire and other problems have come as the Lehigh Valley's powerless try to use generators in the wake of Hurricane Sandy.
Some left powerless by Hurricane Sandy have turned to generators for heat and light - but one death and two fires are grim reminders that generators must be used with extreme caution. These four cases happened in the Lehigh Valley in just two days: Follow these generator safety tips: