A feasibility study conducted earlier this year illustrated the need for about $24 million of borrowing for repairs and maintenance to properties in the Parkland School District, including at Kratzer Elementary School.
A two-phase project at Kratzer Elementary School will re-direct traffic and buses, making the entrance points safer, according to Tom Daniels, senior project manager at Alvin Butz, Inc.
The current entrance system causes school buses and parents in cars to utilize the same driveway, causing a large backup.
Moving the main office closer to the entrance of the building is another major project at the school, prompted by the shooting tragedy in Newtown, Conn., according to Superintendent of School Richard Sniscak.
The widening of doorways, making bathrooms ADA accessible and renovating the kitchen system are the other major projects to address in the school, Davis said.
The cost for these projects are $7.7 million in building costs, another $1 million in sidewalks and other projects and $175,000 in classroom costs.
The original estimates for building construction were in the neighborhood of just more than $5 million.
School directors authorized the board president to sign and submit all documents required by South Whitehall Township for the renovations.
Subdivision, land development plans and some zoning issues are anticipated, Daniels said.
Bids for the construction work, which is expected to begin in March, 2014, will be sent out soon.
Other capital projects the school district is considering are:
- An Orefield Middle School boiler plant project at cost of $1 million.
- A roof project at Orefield Middle School at a cost of $540,000.
- A paving project at Orefield Middle School at a cost of $475,000.
- A bus garage emergency system at a cost of $50,000.
- Vestibule projects at Parkway Manor and Ironton Schools at a cost of $100,000.
"These are not nice to have items, they are need to have items that need to be addressed," Sniscak said.
Sniscak said the capital projects for 2015 and beyond are:
- Energy audits at Orefield Middle School and Parkland High School for the HVAC systems at an approximate cost of $700,000.
- Roof projects at Cetronia Elementary School, Fogelsville Elementary School and Springhouse Middle School at $1 million.
- Artificial turf at the Parkland High School soccer and track stadium at a cost of $2.7 million.
- Repairs at the Troxell Administration Building.