Saturday marks the return of at area pharamacies and police departments.
In Upper Macungie Patch, you can drop off unwanted or unused prescription drugs by taking them to the from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Before handing over unwanted prescriptions, remove any personal information from bottles or packages that contain medications. Liquid products and creams in containers will be accepted.
Sharpies and syringes will not be accepted because of the potential hazard posed by blood-borne pathogens. Illegal substances, such as marijuana and methamphetamine, are not part of the program and should not be placed in the collection boxes.
Keeping expired or .
"People can mistake one medication for another, especially if the names of the medications are close,” said Vicky Kistler, director of the Allentown Health Bureau. Having excess medications stored in homes "also can provide the opportunity for curious youths to experiment with dangerous drugs with serious consequences," she added.
The following is a list of collection sites:
- Alburtis Police Department, 260 Franklin St., Alburtis;
- Catasauqua Police Department, 118 Bridge St., Catasauqua;
- Emmaus Police Department, 400 Jubilee St., Emmaus;
- Episcopal House, 1440 Walnut St., Allentown. Allentown police will collect medications;
- Fountain Hill Police Department, 941 Long St., Fountain Hill;
- Giant supermarket, 3015 W. Emmaus Ave., Allentown. Allentown police will collect medications;
- Giant supermarket, 216 E. Fairmont St., Route 9, Coopersburg. Coopersburg police will collect medications;
- Lower Milford Township Police Department, 7607 Chestnut Hill Church Road, Coopersburg;
- Macungie Police Department, 21 Locust St., Macungie;
- Salisbury Township Police Department, 3000 S. Pike Ave., Salisbury Township;
- Slatington Police Department, 125 S. Walnut St., Slatington;
- South Whitehall Township Police Department, 4444 Walbert Ave., South Whitehall Township;
- Target, entrance at 912 Airport Center Road, Airport Shopping Plaza, Hanover Township, Lehigh County. Pennsylvania State Police Troop M, Bethlehem, will be collecting medications;
- , 8330 Schantz Road, U. Macungie Township. Berks-Lehigh Regional Police officers will collect medications;
- Upper Saucon Township Police Department, 5500 Camp Meeting Road, Center Valley;
- Westgate Mall, main entrance, 2285 Schoenersville Road, Bethlehem. Bethlehem police officers will collect medications; and
- Whitehall Township Police Department, 3731 Lehigh St., Whitehall Township.