Two Hurt When Sam Adams Brewery Boiler Malfunctioned
Officials aren't sure if there was an actual explosion at Sam Adams Brewery on Thursday but two workers were hurt slightly when a boiler malfunctioned
Two men were hurt slightly when a boiler malfunctioned at Samuel Adams Brewery in Fogelsville on Thursday.
One man had smoke in his eyes and the other a bump on his head, according to Boston Beer Co. spokeswoman Michelle Sullivan. Both men were treated at the scene and should be OK.
The workers were getting ready to start the boiler shortly before noon when something went wrong.
"It made a loud noise. I don't know if anything exploded," said Sullivan.
Initial reports indicated an explosion at the brewery and emergency crews were called in including the Lehigh County hazmat team.
About 100 employees were on site at the time and were evacuated. Production was shut down for the day.
The brewery employs about 300 people and produces most styles of Samuel Adams beer, according to Lehigh Valley Marketplace. The Fogelsville brewery began as Schaefer Brewing Company in 1971 and was later sold to Stroh, then Pabst.
The facility changed hands again and produced Smirnoff Ice until June of 2008, when The Boston Beer Company took ownership.