As the nation celebrates the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. today, many choose to volunteer their time to help make the world a better place, something King encouraged all to do.
"Everybody can be great... because everybody can serve," he had said.
On this national day of service, here are 5 Ways to Serve or observe King's legacy.
1. Attend the volunteer fair in the Palmer Park Mall from noon to 4 p.m. The fair will be hosted by The Volunteer Center of the Lehigh Valley, which works with community partners to organize a network of volunteers for events throughout the year. Agencies attending will include American Cancer Society, American Red Cross, Bethlehem Special Olympics, Meals on Wheels of Northampton County, Northampton County Agency on Aging, and the United Way of the Greater Lehigh Valley.
2. Organize a collection in your community, school or place of business of non-perishable food items for local food pantries; new children's books for day care centers and after-school programs; and canned and dry cat and dog food, and kitty litter for local animal shelters. Call the Lehigh Valley Volunteer Center at 610-807-0336 to register a project and set up a drop-off time.
3. Give blood and save a life. An Emergency Blood drive for Miller-Keystone Blood Center is taking place from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Emmaus Public Library. Another drive coordinated by the American Red Cross, will be taking place from noon to 4 p.m. in the parking lot of Palmer Park Mall.
4. Call your local library to help volunteer to clean shelves, organize books and help in any way needed. Contact the Parkland Community Library at 610-389-1361.
5. Celebrate the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. from 9 a.m. to noon at the Swain School, 1100 South 24 St., Salisbury Township. The event will include educational presentations, musical performances, the opportunity to do on-campus community service and more. Those attending are asked to bring a donation of a ‘birthday party’ item such as cake mix, frosting, birthday candles, etc. This is a family event, though children must be accompanied by an adult.