Parkland's International Cake Off Draws 32 Entries
Parkland High School held an International Cake Off Event Tuesday as part of its celebration of World Language Week (Feb. 25 through March 1).
The week-long observance aims to promote language learning, celebrate diversity and increase global awareness.
Held by the World Language Department in the high school cafeteria, the cake-off had 32 entries. The themes varied from a traditional German cake to a bagpipe to a taco!
The results were:
- First Place: Anthony Miksad, Yasmine Hannah and Grace Hornong (Green cake with Statue of Liberty
- Second Place: Serena Scocca, Jordan Kohler and Gabriela Avecillas
- Third Place: Erika Foose, Annika Fagerstrom, Kendall Strampel, Kyle Stoudt andHunter Hartman (Taco Cake/Dip)
Final judges included:
- Chef Karen O'Donnell of Here's Cooking At You
- Assistant Principal Donna Steckel who specializes in French Cuisine
- Cupcake queen Andrea Seese, who is a Family and Consumer Science teacher at Parkland High School.
- Mariah Fenstermaker who works at the high school.
It was a wonderful community event and the student creations with cake helped to spread the important message of World Language Week, organizers said.